Tuesday 19 July 2011

Putting the 'heart in my home'


Hello world!

So this is it, my very first entry (figuratively and literally) into the blogosphere!

I hope for those of you kind enough to read this, that my blog provides not only an insight into the inner workings of my brain (which to be honest can be slightly chaotic and mad!) but also a place where you can be inspired, entertained and "informed" (I use inverted commas because I guarantee there will be no fact checking). In return, I hope you join  the conversation and provide me with your words of wisdom (or tips of how to fold a fitted sheet, seriously how are you meant to fold fabric with elasticised/rounded corners?). 

Warning: the following entry contains a disproportionate amount of inverted commas.

So I have been living in my "new" house for almost two years, it's the first piece of real estate I have ever owned(rather the bank owns it in my name until I can pay it off, which by the way things are going should be in the next millenium) and I love it.

It's basically a shoe box in the middle of nowhere with features including, but not limited to, a dirt track masquerading as a backyard, three modest sized bedrooms, a combined lounge/dining/family room/study and a disproportionately large kitchen.

While it may not be a quaint terrace house in Potts Point or a villa in Tuscany, it is mine and it had allowed me to indulge in my love of interior design. Maybe it's a sign of maturity or (madness!) but these days I would much rather hunt through garage sales, antiques dealers or even IKEA than hit the clubs.

Design inspirations

That's not to say I've ever been much of a 'hitting the clubs' kinda gal. Rather, the only hitting I've been doing for the last six years (since the birth of my child) has been on the pillow, searching for that miracle of all miracles...uninterrupted sleep. Oh when will you serenade me again with your sweet sweet sounds of unabashed snoring...

So anyway, before I completely digress, I have slowly been adding decorating touches to my house to make it feel like my 'home'. As they say 'home is where the heart is' right?

When I first got married and started a family it was all about practicality, and for those who know me, practicality and I were never best friends. So we were looking for furniture that was 'washable' and 'durable' and 'stain removable' and well... down right depressing. Don't get me wrong, I tried to make it work by buying big sturdy furniture in dark earthy tones. I thought I could manage being practical/sensible while pleasing my aesthetic loving heart, however it just wasn't...me.

Anyway I've always been a bit of a 'Francophile' and loved the thought of mixing
french provincial furniture with contemporary pieces in creamy soft hues. Fortunately for me, my husband, who has always had a creative eye, decided to join me on my quest for decorating salvation and did not object to clearing out our entire house and starting from scratch.

A snapshot of the current living room

 Lovely hand made tea pot (purchased last weekend)

 Vintage cabinet (displaying above tea pot)


 
Along this journey there have been many ups and plenty of downs (like the time we broke our newly bought sofa while driving out of the store car park- who puts beams low enough to hit furniture on the back of a ute anyway?) but it's been worth every penny . Since my home is a work is progress, any tips on decorating suppliers/retailers/inspiration is most welcome. My friend, Miss E, recommended the following website http://www.etsy.com/. It has a fantastic array of handmade and vintage items.I'm hoping to pick up a few goodies come 'Happy Pay Day'. Until next time...Rose.



 


 




4 comments:

  1. lovely!! you could have put more pics of the house, the pretty painting above the bench! xx 'Rose's sis' since you love the inverted commas so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic first entry! Loving the vintage cabinet which you have styled perfectly!
    Love, Miss. E
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go gorgeous Rose - I think you and your blog are the B.E.S.T - Speaking as someone who has a love of all things beautiful but no clue as to how to achieve it - I would love storage and organisation tips xxxxx - Love Miss F

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the affirmation everyone! Sister Rose, will keep posting more photos of the house as decorating progresses. Miss F, I think I may have some ideas for storage, will have a good think and get back to you.XXOO Rose.

    ReplyDelete