Monday 9 July 2012

Soldering on at Soju Girl


Hello world!

It's Rose here today, I note the introductions to Lily (aka Sister Rose) have been established with Lily's fab first post on Miss T's bridal shower.

On a similar vein I thought I'd provide a culinary update on a restaurant both Lily and I (coincidentally) visited last week called 'Soju Girl'.

Culinary update

Soju Girl, located in the Melbourne Building in Canberra heralds a new form of dining in our beloved Capital City. Though this city is small, the food scene seems to be expanding at the same rate as my waistline (which is ironic because I feel the reason for my expanding waistline is in part due to the expansion of said food scene, or so I tell myself) with many a innovative food place, ala Asian fusion Soju Girl, popping up as we speak.



The dining at Soju Girl embraces this new vibe of 'sharing plates', with diners given the choice of sharing several small plates and/or large plates. Now as someone who's a weenie bit on the selfish side when it comes to the sharing of food, I found this concept rather alarming (please note, I am generous in every other way and would happily share my organs, clothes, shoes, dvd's, cd's, books etc with all beloveds). So do I share one large plate with my fellow diners (Miss A, Teak and Miss L) and keep a small one for myself ?? Or do we all order one small plate and share?? Or should I just close my eyes and jab at the menu until I reach a combination of dishes both edible and not too pricey.

Anyway, to put a verrry long story short, with the help of a lovely waitress and a few glasses of calming Pellegrino, Miss A, Teak and I finally decided to share one small plate of delicate soft shell crab, a massive plate/bowl of duck and lycee curry, and a chocolate fondant for good measure.






While choosing the plating combinations was a bit tricky, the flavours were not. Each dish was bursting with texture and the flavour combinations were just divine. Duck and lycee, crispy cauliflower and mustard foam (Miss L's dish), crab with a citrus, all very very good. In the end the small and large plate combination worked out perfectly, both for the bank balance and the palette.

So for you Canberrans who haven't tried Soju Girl, I would highly recommend it, and for you non food sharer/standard three course people like me, I encourage you to branch out and try a new style of food, you never know until you try right?

Until next time...Rose. xx


No comments:

Post a Comment