Monday 29 October 2012

A room of one's own

Hello blogosphere!

It's Lily here, with a title borrowed from the great Virginia Woolf. I hope I am forgiven for using her title in the literal sense, as you are about to see...

Approaching the end of my degree, I've decided that it's time for  me to venture out into the big, bad world and get a place of my own. Now I know this means I will no longer have instant access to my Mum's delicious cooking, and that I can't use my Dad having bought chocolate home as my excuse for eating large quantities of it....but moving out also means a chance to decorate my own place, hooray!

In true Lily fashion I  have already begun picking up pieces despite the fact that the moving out part is still months away, so here are my favourite finds.


I had always been dying for a dressmaker's mannequin (not because I am so talented as to actually use it for dressmaking) but because I love mannequins as a piece of furniture. This houndstooth patterned mannequin was actually Rose's find, who stumbled across it and called me in a frisson of excitement asking me whether I wanted her to buy it. As it is now lovingly adorned in my necklaces, you can see I said yes. The mannequin is going to serve as decoration inspiration for a 'boudoir of sorts' in my own place, see below!




Above are a selection of prints I have been collecting. The water landscape was picked up in a market in Kuala Lumpur, the Paris landscapes were a present from Rose from her trip to France (thanks Sis!) and the black and white photographs I got from the Salamanca Market in Hobart (which by the way are fantastic). I can't wait to put these up, and don't worry I will show you the end result :)



Given I used the title of feminist essays for this blog I thought it wouldn't be right if I didn't include something about an ass-kicking female. I recently finished reading Jane Eyre, and absolutely loved it. There is just something about a young woman in the 1800s who challenges men in a patriarchal society and asserts her independence which gets you. If you haven't already read the novel, I would definitely recommend it!

Until next time,
Xx Lily

2 comments:

  1. Love the peek into your room...even though I was there um last week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the mannequin - great find.

    ReplyDelete