Thursday 24 January 2013

An Ocean of talent

Hello world!

A quick one today. I've been meaning to shout out to Frank Ocean for a while.

I have to admit, it took me a while to get into his music, having only heard snippets of his first album Nostalgia Ultra, but the Husband, who has been a true believer from the beginning insisted I listen to the track Pyramids from his latest record Channel Orange and as they say...the rest is history.

Seriously, what a revelation!



I truly believe Frank heralds a new era in R&B and Hip Hop, which had taken a turn for the worst over the last decade with records filled with sleazy, crass, lyrics played to the loop of inane auto tuned vocals.

But Frank is like, the antithesis of all that. 

While his first album Nostalgia Ultra is awesome, Channel Orange leaves it for dead. Engaging, witty and insightful lyrics, intertwined with smooth vocals and killer tunes, the album is simply sublime. 

My favourite song Super Rich Kids, which features a sample of Elton John's Benny and the Jets is genius, exploring the hollowness and superficiality of material life.

It's my favourite record of 2012, check it out, you won't be sorry!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Rose I LOVE FRANK OCEAN!! Been playing in my car for months! So happy you enjoy him as much as I do :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh I thought as much M! Isn't he amazing?!! I'm so glad he's got an audience in Oz through Triple J as well. What a talented soul.

    ReplyDelete