Monday 7 January 2013

Much ado about nothing #3


Hello world!

Welcome to 2013! I hope you all rang in the New Year with fun, frivolity and panache!

My NYE celebrations included a quick trip to the city to watch the 'family' fireworks (at 9:00 pm) and then safely tucking myself in bed, to watch Kylie Minogue ring in the New Year by setting off the giant fireworks in Sydney, on the telly, and then promptly falling asleep. So, seriously rock n roll stuff.

Anyhoo, now that we're well and truly in 2013, I plan to set the agenda early and repeat weekends like the one I just had.

Yesterday I caught up with my fave Laughing Ladies: Teak, JJ, and Miss A for a spot of lunch at Mocan (pronounced Mochchan) and Green Grout, aka the new Canberra hip(ster) spot (see more info on M&GG here) and then proceeded to cry me a river, watching the much anticipated screen adaptation of the musical, Les Miserables.

Firstly the food. I've been hearing about Mocan and Greet Grout for a while now, with many a Canberran hailing this joint as a truly unique establishment. The visuals of the restaurant are very beautiful, with hanging potted plants, recycled timber walls, exposed light bulbs and vases filled with fresh flowers.

The food and coffee were also outstanding, with lovely combinations of light summer flavours, like the smoked trout, asparagus and fluffed egg dish which I devoured.


My only gripe is the lack of weather control. With Canberra experiencing 38+ degree summers, the fact that the joint had no cooling arrangements, for me, really detracted from the experience. I will be back no doubt, but most likely on a much cooler day!

As for Le Mis. Well what can I say, just go watch it for Anne Hathaway alone. She is magnificent as the tragic and fragile, Fantine. The story, set against the backdrop of the continuing French Revolution speaks of many universal themes, like, redemption, love, courage and mistaken values.


The direction by Tom Hooper clearly brought out the best in many of his principle cast, including the wonderful Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean. However, I agree with many film critics, in that while it is an epic story, it needn’t be as laborious and heavy handed in its messaging as it was in the film. I do however, disagree with other critics who said the songs should have been pre-recorded. I think the live singing brought an emotional depth to the scenes which pre-recordings may have missed. See the opening scene of Hugh Jackman for proof.

Overall though, I loved it for staying true to the operatic form of the musical, with almost all dialogue delivered in song. It was visually beautiful, as was Hooper's Oscar winning movie The Kings Speech. I was contemplating 3 and 1/2 out of five, but I'm going to bump it up to 4/5 for Anne Hathaway, who continues to haunt me with her Fantine. Go dream the dream!

Until next time...Rose. xx















1 comment:

  1. Nice review Miss Rose. I wonder if we will see a 5 star film from you this year.

    ReplyDelete