Tuesday 26 February 2013

At the talkies

Hello world!

Well I’mma get straight to the point.

As a fully-fledged movie nerd, this is MY time of the year. I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but me loooove da movies.

And because of this, I also like seeing the ones I admire recognised at glitzy award ceremonies, which sometimes are hosted  by brilliant, satirical, intelligent hosts (Amy Poehler and Tine Fey, I'm looking at you) while others are ushered by a sexist, humourless, tasteless excuse of a comedian (Seth Macfarlane, I’m givin you the stink eye).

Which brings me to my take of the recently completed 2013 Academy Awards.

I gotta say, I was super bummed to see Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty) lose out to Jennifer Lawrence for Best Actress for Silver Linings Playbook.

Don’t get me wrong, I recommend you watch both movies, as I thought J Law was really fantastic in SLP.

The movie, which centres around the love story of two people struggling with mental illness, is beautifully told. It’s funny, quirky, and kinda in your face, and even though it has its fair share of flaws, it features fantastic performances from the entire cast (who knew Bradley Cooper could act eh?) and is filled with heart. I happily give it 4/5.



So having praised it to the hilt, why am I bummed that J Law won over J Chas?

Um cuz J Chas is like the next Meryl Streep. I’m putting it out there guys, she is like seriously amazeballs.

Based on the real life 10 year hunt for Osama Bin Laden, Zero Dark Thirty centres on the female CIA agent (Chastain) who essentially, through meticulous research, tenacity, and let’s be honest, some pretty brutal interrogation methods, manages to find and initiate the capture of the most dangerous person on earth.

The movie, brilliantly directed by Kathryn Bigelow (seriously, how she missed the Oscar nom is beyond me) is nuanced, suspenseful and just plain smart.



It’s so rare for Hollywood to release movies where messages aren’t spoon fed to an audience. Like Bigelows The Hurt Locker, there’s no long winded sequences which explain the plot, nor are there conversations on the audacity of war.

Instead, you as the audience are left to decide the meaning of the film, which is like super unconventional, esp for Hollywood.

I could seriously go on and on and on about this film, but basically I give it 5/5. Seriously, go watch it NOW!

I also watched the two of the other Best Picture nominees, the visually awe inspiring Life of Pi, and the disappointing Django Unchained.



Tarantino’s movies are always a visual spectacle, with their overt violence and exaggerated plot lines. But what makes them usually so fantastic is that along with the visual feast, he creates characters, who despite enacting heinous violence, have a story and a soul.

Unfortunately, that’s just not the case in Django, despite the emotive backdrop of American slavery and Django’s quest for justice.

Plus, even though Christoph Waltz was amazing, and truly deserving of the Best Supporting Actor, for me, Jamie Fox’s uneven performance, and Tarantino’s original, but indulgent screenplay left me feeling totally ‘meh’. For those reasons, I’m stretching to give it 3/5. 




Pi was just beautiful, and confirms why Ang Lee remains one of my all-time favourite directors. I fell in love with him after watching Sense and Sensibility and Crouching Tiger, so a well-deserved Oscar for this mercurial, genius of a man.


My next movie on the list is the other Oscar nom, Beasts of the Southern Wild. As most of you prolly know by now, the star of the movie, 9 year old Quvenzhane Wallis became the youngest nominee for Best Actress this year, and having already cried while watching the trailer of the movie, I wouldn’t miss it for the world.

Doesn't this image make your heart sing?!

Plus Miss JJ, Teak and Miss A and I are also catching the 2013 Alliance Française French Film Festival later next month. As lovers of France, films and food, we’re super excited to combine all next month. Will of course post on our adventures as it happens. See more info on the Festival here.

Poor Lilz is still without the interweb at her new home, so not sure when we’re going to hear from her. As for me, I’ll catch ya ASAP.

Until next time…Rose. xx

4 comments:

  1. Great post Rose!

    I really want to see Silver Lining Playbook and should probably check out what's on ta the Alliance Francaise Film Festival! Thanks for the link!

    Maadz from My Pretty Sydney
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Miss Maadz. Def recommend SLP, it's a lovely movie, you just have to bear the first 20 mins, which is a bit 'all over the shop'.

    Loving your latest posts on http://myprettysydney.com/.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched Zero Dark Thirty last night and absolutely loved it. I was on the edge of my seat for more than half of it; such a brilliantly made movie! Beasts of the Southern Wild is next on the list, thanks for the tip. If you see something amazing at the French Film Festival I need to know asap please, there's so many movies playing I don't know how I'm going to select what to watch!

    On a completely unrelated topic, the garlic crusher was $25. So yeah wasn't exactly cheap but totes worth it coz it's life changing!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you liked ZDT Rachi, I think it's a masterpiece! Hope you enjoy Beasts of the Southern Wild. I noticed it's not showing at Dendy anymore :-( I might have to catch it on DVD...or through other means!

    I'll def let you know about the Film Festival. x

    ReplyDelete